By protecting and improving our environment, the communities where we do business and the students we serve, Sodexo makes every day a better day and every tomorrow a better tomorrow.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to purchase a meal plan?

Yes! It's a great value and it is SMCC's policy that all designated Campus Residents purchase a meal plan each semester..

What are Flex Dollars?

Flex Dollars are cash values included in all meal plans. They work like a pre-paid debit card with funds kept on your student ID card. Flex Dollars may be used at any on-campus dining location.

Do Flex Dollars carry over from year to year?

They are carried over from the fall to the spring when a new meal plan is purchased in the spring. They are not carried over from year to year.

Do Block Meals carry over from semester to semester?

Block meals may be used during the semester in which are purchased. They do not carry over from semester to semester.

Can I change my meal plan if it does not fit my needs?

Yes! Changing to a bigger or smaller meal plan can be done during the first week of school. Please fill out a Meal Plan Change form found at Oceanview Dining Hall.

If I'm not a Resident Hall Student, where do I buy my meal plan?

If you live off-campus, you can purchase a 10, 25 or 40 Commuter Meal Plan. All of these plans can be purchased Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Oceanview Dining Hall or Online. We will need your campus ID in order to process your purchase.

What are Bonus Bucks?

Bonus Bucks are cash values included in our Commuter Meal Plans plans. They work like a pre-paid debit card with funds kept on your student ID card. Bonus Bucks may be used at any on-campus dining location.

What are Beacon Bucks?

Beacon Bucks are cash values that can be transferred through the Financial Office in the Campus Center during the first 2 weeks of each semester. At any time they can be purchased at any register at all dining locations on campus also online. They are not tied into a meal plan, but can be purchased in any amount throughout the semester in $5 increments and are carried over from year to year as long as you are enrolled in school. Faculty and Staff are encouraged to purchase Beason Bucks for themselves!

In This Section
Important Info

Lost Meal Cards

Please report any lost meal card to Campus Security immediately.

Using your Meal Card

Your SMCC College ID Card can be your ticket to the outlets on campus. With the purchase of a Beacon Bucks account, simply present your ID when you visit for meals in Oceanview Dining Hall or Seawolves Café in the campus center. Each time, your purchases are deducted from your balance. Please treat your SMCC student ID (meal plan card) as a credit card. DO NOT lend it to anyone or borrow one from someone else. Fraudulent lending of your ID card will result in your ID being confiscated and sent to Office of Housing and Residence Life for further action.

Dietary Requirements

Do you have particular dietary needs? No problem! Our Campus Dining Services Program will try our best to accommodate your special dietary requirements. For more information, please contact us at extension 5566.

Sick Trays

Sick trays are available for resident students. If you are feeling under the weather we recommend you visit the RA on duty who will then contact dining services to make arrangements to get a meal for you.

Dining Policies

One of our main goals is to provide a pleasant, clean, comfortable and satisfying dining experience. In order to meet this goal, we ask for your assistance with the following procedures:

  • Please bus your dishes and disposables from your table when you have finished dining and make the table available for others
  • Please refrain from taking food, dishes or utensils from the dining area. Anyone caught stealing food from any dining Services location will be referred to the Office of Housing and Residence Life for further action.
  • Remember that Meal Cards are non-transferable. Meal cards cannot be used by anyone but the purchaser.
Southern Maine Community College | Dining Services | 2 Fort Road | South Portland, ME 04106 | tel. (207) 741-5566 | Contact Us